MONDAY July 23rd- WEDNESDAY July 25th (3-Day Trip)
Day 1 Itinerary:
- 10:00am meet at Rags 2 Riches, a social enterprise in the heart of Manila that provides sustainable livelihood, financial literacy training, and more to men and women affected by poverty
- 10:00am Participate in a weaving workshop, where we'll be paired up with R2R's skilled employees to learn how to upcycle fabric scraps into our own woven wallets.
- 11:30am Learning session with R2R founder Reece Fernandez-Ruiz : “Starting A Social Enterprise in Southeast Asia”. Reece will walk us though the early challenges in Rags 2 Riches' history, and share their inspiring journey to becoming the successful organization that they are today, employing hundreds of workers and running several impactful programs.
- 12:30pm Vegan Boxed Lunch c/o Greens Resto
- 1:15pm Leave for GK Enchanted Farm.
- 2:45pm Arrival at GK Enchanted Farm- a part of Gawad Kalinga, a Philippine-based movement that aims to end poverty by first restoring the dignity of the poor. It employs an integrated and holistic approach to empowerment, currently working with over 2,000 communities and establishing social enterprises all over the Philippines.
- 3:00pm GK Enchanted Farm Social Enterprise Tour. We'll enjoy a personalized tour of the farm, and we'll also observe demonstrations at several of the many social enterprises on the farm's grounds: Ambension Silk, Plush and Play, and Make Peace Bakery.
- 6:00pm A delicious farm to table dinner will be served for our group at the farm, and we'll have a free evening to enjoy exploring and hanging out before spending the night in one of the farm's accommodations
Day 2 Itinerary:
- 6:00am We'll get an early start on our day, leaving right away in the morning to travel to our next destination- but not before grabbing some delicious goods from Make Peace Bakery for a simple breakfast on the road! We'll stop for coffee, then drive to San Juan La Union.
- 12:30pm On arrival in La Union, we'll enjoy a vegan lunch
- 2:00pm We'll pay a visit a group of handloom weavers, learn about their craft, and see them in action. We'll be joined by Kylie Misa of WVN Home, a women-owned enterprise which co-creates contemporary textiles for the home by working with weaving community. Kylie will lead a learning session for us: “artisan-made as a tool for the preservation of tradition".
- 4:30pm Following our learning session, we'll check in to a eco friendly surfing hostel on the beach. You'll have free time until dinner to swim, sunbathe, and explore. The hostel is equipped with hammocks, bean bags, and a full bar where you can order a mojito, if you'd like.
- 6:00pm Dinner on the beach
Day 3 Itinerary:
- 7:00am Continental breakfast with lots of fresh fruit and local coffee to fuel us for the morning's adventure- surfing lessons!
- 8:00am Surfing lessons You'll be paired up one-on-one with a local instructor, who will guide you step-by-step as you take on the waves! (optional swimming/sunbathing for those who don't wish to participate in the surfing session)
- 9:30pm Free time. Our last day is a day to reflect and recharge, so we'll plan for time to rest following our surfing session.
- 11:00am Mini beach cleanup and early lunch. For lunch, we'll visit Clean Beach Cafe, a local business that promotes clean beaches by encouraging customers to pick up a small basket of trash in exchange for a free coffee! We'll meet the owners and hear more about their advocacy.
- 12:30pm Waterfall Exploration at Tangadan Falls.
- 3:00pm Leave La Union
- 6:00pm Stop for dinner on our drive back to Manila.
Day 1 Costs:
- $20.00 Weaving Workshop and learning session
- $6.00 vegetarian lunch
- $20.00 GK Enchanted Farm Tour and Social Enterprise Demos (inclusive of dinner)
- $16.00 overnight accommodation (dorm style) OR $50.00 for a private room (800 Pesos)
- $12.00 transportation (private vehicle, gas, and tolls) (400 pesos)
Day 2 Costs:
- $4.00 Breakfast
- $20.00 Weaving Demonstration and Learning Workshop
- $6.00 Vegan Lunch (Burrito Place)
- $6.00 Vegan Dinner (Flotsam)
- $16.00 overnight accommodation (dorm style) OR $50.00 for a private Room
- $12.00 transportation (private vehicle, gas, and tolls)
Day 3 Costs:
- $0.00 Breakfast Buffet (included with accommodations)
- $6.00 Vegan Lunch
- $8.00 Surf Lesson/board rental$12.00 transportation (private vehicle, gas, and tolls)
- $7.00 Vegan Dinner
- $2.50 Waterfall Entrance Fee and Local Guide
$70.00 Guide Fee